If you love cooking Asian at home, bookmark this recipe as one you’ll be referring to time and again. Swirling with a fragrant hit of kaffir lime leaves, galangal and star anise, this vegetarian Asian broth by home chef Karishma Mehta – a.k.a. BowledOverByKari – is a flavour-packed base for all your favourite soupy dishes from noodle soup, wanton soup to of course, nourishing bowls of ramen!
- 1 tbsp ginger/ galangal slices
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 bunch of spring onion leaves
- 2 carrots diced
- 8-10 shitake mushrooms
- handful of lemon grass
- 3-5 kafir lime leaves
- 2-5 dried red chillies (add more depending on the spice you need)
- 2-3 star anise
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar or sugar
- 8 cups water
- Salt to taste
- In a large pot, add all the ingredients including the water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and let the broth simmer for 30-35 minutes. Strain the broth and store in an air tight container
- This broth makes for a great base for soupy dishes such as noodle soup, clear vegetable soup, wonton soup and of course, ramen!
About Karishma Mehta:
Former lawyer turned home chef Karishma Mehta loves making colourful vegetarian and vegan bowls at home. Follow her culinary adventures and easy-to-follow recipes @BowledOverbyKari
You can use this Asian Broth as the base for the following recipes:
We’d love to hear from you! Do let us know if you try this recipe – you can leave a comment below and/ or tag us in your delicious creations on Instagram @the_foodiediaries.
Latest Instagram Posts
Get the latest reviews, recipes & recommendations, delivered straight to your inbox: