Did you know that one in two Brits are porridge eaters, while nearly a quarter do so almost daily?
I definitely know which side I veer on – whether in Bombay or in London, my day isn’t complete without a bowl o’ oats.
What I really love most about this humble grain is that it effortless absorbs a variety of flavours – sweet, salty, tangy, spicy – you name it, the creative possibilities are just endless!
Case in point: the breakfast miso porridge at Maple & Fitz, one of my favourite healthy hangouts in London dedicated to delectable clean eats and treats. Try it for yourself – Cordon Bleu-trained chef and the cafe’s founder, Adria Wu shares her signature recipe with us here, along with another savoury porridge creation with a quinoa kick…
Maple & Fitz Signature Miso Oats
Gluten and dairy free savoury porridge recipe
- 120g jumbo (large) gluten free oats
- 700 ml water
- 1-2 tsp white miso paste
- 1 tsp tamari (or soy)
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp black or white sesame seeds
- 40g, toasted flaked almonds
- 1/4 spring onion, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1 egg, poached
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Melt miso and water in pan until evenly blended. Add oats and bring to boil then down to simmer for 6-7 mins until cooked (3- 5 mins if using flaked porridge oats), stirring and scraping bottom so it doesn’t stick to the pan. When ready add tamari and sesame oil.
- Meanwhile heat a wide pan until hot then toast sesames seeds and almonds with a pinch of salt for 2 minutes, tossing until golden brown.
- Poach egg in gently boiling water (bubbles should look like champagne). Slowly swirl the water and gently drop the egg in the centre. Poach for 2.5 mins. Remove and pat dry.
Serve topped with sesame seeds, almonds, spring onion and poached egg. Season with salt and pepper.
- 100g red or white quinoa
- 200ml water
- 250ml almond milk
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 15g pecans, crumbled
- 15 goji berries
- 1 tsp desiccated coconut pinch of cinnamon
- Cook quinoa (can be done ahead of time and refrigerated for up to 5 days). Bring quinoa, water and salt to a boil then reduce and simmer for 12-15 minutes covered until all water is absorbed and spirals are revealed. Turn off heat and place a dry dishcloth over pot for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Melt dates and milk in pan until gentle boil. Add cooked quinoa, spices, chia seeds and halve vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape beans into milk. Season with a pinch of sea salt.
- Serve warm or chilled with banana, pecans, goji berries, desiccated coconut and more cinnamon as garnish.
If you haven’t already visited Adria’ cheerful neighbourhood cafe in Fitzrovia, then you’re really due a visit. In addition to her deliciously inventive breakfast spread, Maple & Fitz serves up a colourful array of salads that pack in a mighty punch; revitalising cold pressed juices; and some guilt-free sweets and snacks including a scrummy “Everything Cookie” and the best gluten-free brownies ever!
And if your appetite is sufficiently whet, you may also be interested in flicking through to some other tasty recipes that Adria has shared with us, including for tahini and miso baked aubergine…