“Either you run the day or the day runs you. Or you eat guacamole”
– Jim Robn
Well we’re not eating guacamole on the blog today, but we have the Detox Kitchen here playing devil’s avocado with a ridiculously tasty breakfast recipe that’s bound to get your day off to a running start!
If you follow me on Instagram, then you’ll understand why this foodie often finds herself in need of a detox, or at the very least a dose of healthy. And when I do, I usually find my way to the Detox Kitchen’s charming little deli in Kingly Court (you can read why, here). From their salads to brownies, everything they serve is free from dairy, wheat and refined sugar, yet incredibly tasty!
The following recipe is from their recently published cookbook – the Detox Kitchen Bible – a veritable treasure trove of wholesome yet flavourful recipes from breakfasts to snacks and scrumptious treats.
Over to them.
AVOCADO SMASH WITH TOASTED NUTS & SEEDS
Serves 2 • 460 calories per serving
Rich in Vitamins B6 and E • Potassium • Magnesium • Phytoestrogens • Beta-sitosterol • Fibre
You may be apprehensive about having a salad for breakfast, but if you try this one with a few slices of toast, you will be converted. The creamy avocado mixed with all of our favourite nuts and seeds and some protein-packed lentil sprouts tastes wonderfully fresh and really will keep you feeling full until lunch. Avocados contain high levels of a plant compound known as beta-sitosterol, which is thought to help balance cholesterol levels.
- 20g cashew nuts
- 20g hazelnuts
- 1 tsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 2 ripe avocados
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 fresh chives, finely chopped
- 50g lentil sprouts
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped fresh coriander or micro coriander
- Lime wedges
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Spread all the nuts and seeds in a small baking tin and toast in the heated oven for 8 minutes until golden. Tip them into a mortar and lightly crush with the pestle. Set aside.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the stones, then scoop out the flesh and put it in a large bowl. Add the lemon juice, chives and some salt and pepper and crush with a fork. You want to create a creamy but chunky texture. Add the lentil sprouts and mix through.
- Add the crushed nuts and seeds to the avocado mix. Serve sprinkled with coriander and with wedges of lime to squeeze over.